Sunday, April 3, 2011

Restarting a Passion - at least online

If you like writing, your second passion might be easy to guess. Reading, perhaps?

It has always been like that, isn't it? It was as if you are compelled to say (if you are what people dubbed as writer) to answer the required field when asked or interviewed about your hobbies or interests. Reading is to writing as writing is to reading.

And I know millions of people around the world are like me, those who love writing and reading yet continue to grapple with the fear of really beginning to write. Though I don't know if these people indicate writing and reading as interests in their profiles at Facebook, Twitter or at the once-popular fancy autograph.

I could also sympathize with those who are afraid to write, citing as reasons lack of confidence, bad grammar, and many other excuses. I have been beset with these worries, if not most of the time, at least every time I would pick up my laptop to write (before it was a typewriter and my pen and paper).

What's ironic sometimes is that when asked to give advice to those who are writing, I can be very passionate in giving tips and lists of what a writer should be and what a writer is not. But I myself is like these people, always struggling to start a line or a sentence when confronted by a blank page. I am always telling myself I would begin one day but it's always been like that. Never really starting.

Looking back, I have joined a local broadsheet as a business correspondent immediately after graduating in college a decade ago but such writing is not very personal. Not the kind of writing that I could simply breeze away what I think about just about anything.  Now I am called a freelance writer but that is still work, and not really writing.

Just a day ago, I decided I will return to blogging. Really excited to begin, my mind was busy thinking of a good title and a good way that my blog should care to produce. I guess a blog is a good platform to write what I think at the spur of the moment and perhaps give myself a reason to read.

With this new blog, I hope that I could gradually find my own voice as this online space matures every time I write my thoughts away. And finally I hope to make this new blog a useful and interesting place for others.  Just pray that I could muster enough confidence, motivation and determination to persist the pressure of coming up with a post on a regular basis.

With slew of other interests, I might go write about my commentary about headline-grabbing news, technology, design and sometimes science and health, and more of the like.

By opening a blog, some will obviously not care. But I am hoping that you, dear readers or stumblers, will support me in this endeavor. (So much for my shameless plug, let's all get back to work.)

World, am officially announcing the birth of my blog! In other words, it is writing without paper and ink. Thanks to Google's Blogger.com with few clicks, am officially in as a blogger.

I hope to be a better blogger soon.

5 comments:

  1. This is great!

    every true writer is entitled to his or her own real voice... keep it up! keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love writing, and reading too. I guess every writer is also a reader. :) I have opened so many accounts in different blog sites. But because I sometimes get really busy, I'm not able to update it for weeks, or even months. That's why I decide to abandon it and join other blog sites again. hehehe. Pathetic isn't it? Good luck to you.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jelai,

    Thanks for visiting!

    Like you, I also opened a lot of blogs before. I even have one to compile a screenplay-in-progress that I was planning to write and enter at a local competition. But all these attempts miserably failed. Though I can say it was the busy schedule that I have then, I think am one to blame too.

    With this one, I hope to be more consistent in coming up a post each week at least, so I can very well sustain the momentum.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jelai, I think you too can do a weekly blog, if a daily regular post is not manageable. Yes, we too have to earn for our living but that surely is not enough an excuse for us to stop what we love doing - reading and writing.

    Oh, like the old saying - if there's no pain, no gain.

    ReplyDelete